The CGE-800 Schmidt-Cassegrain Telescope is part of Celestron’s “Top-of-the-Line” German Equatorial mounted astronomical telescopes. The CGE-800 is the most portable of the four models. This model features our premium StarBrigh XLT coatings.
This telescope is especially at home as a solid platform for long exposure photography with optional CCD cameras or photographic equipment. Using an f/6.3 Focal Reducer or Fastar accessory makes it usable with a wide variety of CCD cameras.
German Equatorial mounts are recognized as being the superior choice for astrophotography because of their rock solid stability, simple balancing and easy accessibility for attaching equipment. This, coupled with the CGE line’s GoTo capability, makes it an unbeatable instrument for its size.
As a visual instrument you can search for all of the Messier Catalog objects, and you can see hundreds of other, less famous, but equally interesting NGC, IC and Caldwell objects. Turn this scope to the planets and see amazing detail on the surface of Jupiter; see Cassini’s Division in the rings of Saturn, and resolve details on the surface of Mars. Even the distant Uranus, Neptune and Pluto are within your reach.
In addition to being fully computerized with a database of over 40,000 celestial objects, the CGE German Equatorial mount offers numerous design advantages:
Portability – Set up and transportation of the CGE telescopes is made easy by separating the CGE instruments into smaller, easy-to-carry components. Unlike fork arm mounted telescopes, the CGE’s optical tubes can be quickly removed from their mounts making even the CGE 1400 easily assembled by only one person.
Stability – Recognized for superior stability, German Equatorial mounts place the center of gravity directly over the tripod legs and can be easily polar aligned without the use of an optional equatorial wedge. This proven design reduces the “tuning fork” vibration that can be associated with undersized fork mounts. An improved Super HD Tripod supports the CGE mount. This fully extendable tripod is made from the finest cold rolled carbon steel and can be raised to a height of 50". The tripod uses a dual leg support for maximum rigidity with an upper leg brace to provide an outward preload and a lower leg brace providing inward tension.
Balance – CGE equatorial mounts can easily be balanced in both axes. Simply sliding the counterweight for Right Ascension and moving the optical tube along its dovetail mounting for Declination accomplish balancing the weight of camera equipment and other visual accessories. This means that no additional weight needs to be added to balance the telescope when additional accessories are added.
Clearance – CGE mounts support their tubes at a single contact point allowing the tube to move freely around its polar axis without making contact with the telescope's mount. This is particularly useful when adding photographic and CCD instruments that extend from the rear of the telescopes.
All CGE mounted telescopes are compatible with Celestron’s CN-16 GPS accessory. Combine the GPS and built-in Hibernate mode and these telescopes will keep track and remember their exact location and time without having to enter the information into the hand control.
- 8" Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope
- Observatory-class computerized German Equatorial mount
- Schmidt-Cassegrain mechanism that moves the primary mirror to adjust focus is supported by two pre-loaded ball bearings, minimizing the "mirror flop" typical of bushing focus mechanisms
- Celestron's premium StarBright XLT coatings
- 6x30 finderscope to help accurately find objects
- Cold rolled carbon steel tripod legs provide extremely stable platform
- Star diagonal provides more comfortable viewing position when observing objects that are high in the sky
- 40,000 object database with over 100 user-definable objects and expanded information on over 200 objects
- Proven NexStar computer control technology
- GoTo system is precision accurate to 1.5 arcminutes
- Software Features include: Compass Calibration, Polar Alignment routine, Database Filter Limits, Hibernate, Auto North and Level, Quick Align, and user-defined slew limits
- Flash upgradeable hand control software and motor control units for downloading product updates over the Internet
- Custom database lists of all the most famous deep-sky objects by name and catalog number; the most beautiful double, triple and quadruple stars; variable star; solar systems; objects and asterisms
- Permanent programmable periodic error correction (PEC) - corrects for periodic tracking errors inherent to all worm drives
- Precision Bronze Worm Gear - 32 pitch, 5.625" pitch diameter, 180 tooth bronze gear manufactured in the U.S.A. by W. M. Berg, Inc. Manufactured to AGMA Quality Class 10 standard, which minimizes total composite error and backlash.
- Drive Motors - Made in the U.S.A., Pittman® LO-COGT brush-commutated DC motors offer smooth, quiet operation and long life. The motor armatures are skewed to minimize cogging which is required for low speed tracking.
- Bearing and Shaft - Stainless steel worm shaft has 0.4375 pitch diameter and is preloaded with two ball bearings. The worm is made from a single piece of steel (rather than a two-piece worm-and-shaft assembly) to minimize run-out, which is a source of PE
- 12VDC Servo Motors with integrated optical encoders with 0.11 arcsecond resolution
- No-slip clutch system for pointing precision
- Autoguide port, PC port and auxiliary ports located on the electronic pier for long exposure astrophotography
- Double line, 16-character Liquid Crystal Display Hand Control with backlit LED buttons for easy operation of goto features
- RS-232 communication port on hand control to control the telescope via a personal computer
- Includes NexRemote telescope control software, for advanced control of your telescope via computer
- GPS-compatible with optional CN16 GPS Accessory (93967)
OPTICAL DESIGN: Schmidt-Cassegrain
APERTURE: 200 mm (7.87 in)
FOCAL LENGTH: 2032 mm (80 in)
FOCAL RATIO: 10.16
MOUNT: Computerized Equatorial
OPTICAL TUBE: Aluminum
FASTAR COMPATIBLE: Yes
EYEPIECE 1: 25 mm (0.98 in)
MAGNIFICATION 1: 81 x
STAR DIAGONAL: 1.25
TRIPOD: Adjustable, Carbon Steel
CD ROM: NexRemote control software with RS232 cable
POWER SUPPLY: Car battery adapter
HIGHEST USEFUL MAGNIFICATION: 472 x
LOWEST USEFUL MAGNIFICATION: 29 x
LIMITING STELLAR MAGNITUDE: 14
DIAMETER: 203.2 mm (8 in)
RESOLUTION (RAYLEIGH): 0.7 arcsec
RESOLUTION (DAWES): 0.58 arcsec
PHOTOGRAPHIC RESOLUTION: 200 line/mm
LIGHT GATHERING POWER: 816 x
ANGULAR FIELD OF VIEW: 0.62 °
LINEAR FIELD OF VIEW (@1000 YDS): 32 ft (9.75 m)
OPTICAL COATINGS: Starbright XLT Coating
SECONDARY MIRROR OBSTRUCTION: 2.7 in (68.58 mm)
SECONDARY MIRROR OBSTRUCTION BY AREA: 11.8 %
SECONDARY MIRROR OBSTRUCTION BY DIAMETER: 34.3 %
OPTICAL TUBE LENGTH: 17 in (431.8 mm)
OPTICAL TUBE WEIGHT: 12.5 lb (5.67 kg)
TRIPOD AND PIER WEIGHT: 41.5 lb (18.82 kg)
EQ MOUNT WEIGHT: 42 lb (19.05 kg)
COUNTERWEIGHT BAR: 5 lb (2.27 kg)
COUNTERWEIGHTS: 1 x 11 lb
MOTOR DRIVE: DC Servo motors with encoders, both axes
COMPUTER HAND CONTROL: Double line, 16 character Liquid Crystal Display; 19 fiber optic backlit LED buttons
SLEW SPEEDS: Nine slew speeds: 4°/sec, 2°/sec, .5°/sec, 64x, 16x, 8x, 4x, 1x, .5x
TRACKING RATES: Sidereal, Solar and Lunar
TRACKING MODES: EQ North and EQ South
ALIGNMENT PROCEDURES: AutoAlign, 2-Star Align, Quick Align, 1-Star Align, Recall Last Alignment, 3-Star Align
SOFTWARE PRECISION: 24bit, 0.08 calculation
DATABASE: 40,000+ objects, 100 user defined programmable objects. Enhanced information on over 200 objects
POWER REQUIREMENTS: 12 VDC 2A
POWER REQUIREMENTS - IDLE CURRENT: 215 mA
POWER REQUIREMENTS - SLEW ONE AXIS: 600 mA
POWER REQUIREMENTS - SLEW BOTH AXES: 850 mA
INTERNAL CLOCK: Yes
GPS: Optional CN-16 GPS Accessory
2-year Telescope Warranty